ICA IDEAS - We Do It This Way and Otherwise: New Black Queer Audiovisuals Symposium
ICA Miami presents a day-long international symposium dedicated to exploring new forms of Black queer audiovisual production, thinking in particular of visual artifacts that may fall beyond the parameters of cinema and photography, such as video games, music videos, video art, animations, data visualizations, memes, and other forms tailored for digital platforms and new modes of consumption.
The symposium aims to sketch a robust picture of what has been occurring in the field in recent years, both in terms of audiovisual production and theoretical development; and to open a conversation with local practitioners and audiences. The symposium will culminate with an evening screening of Leilah Weinraub’s new film SHAKEDOWN (2018) at Nite Owl Theater, followed by a Q&A with the director.
12:45-1pm Welcome and opening notes
1–2pm Jennifer DeClue: “Sonic Subversion and Black Queer Insurgency”
2-3pm TreaAndrea Russworm: “Black Lives Gaming: Video Games and the Racially Queer Politics of Play”
3:20–4:20pm Derek Conrad Murray: “On Queer Satire in Contemporary African-American Art”
4:20–5:20pm Alpesh Patel: “Queer Exhaustion”
5:45–6:45pm Calvin Warren: ”Onticide: Blackness, Sexuality, and Nihilism”
8–9:30pm Shakedown (2018) at Nite Owl Theater
9:30–10pm Q&A with Leilah Weinraub
- Jennifer DeClue, Assistant Professor of the Study of Women & Gender at Smith College
- Alpesh Patel, Associate Professor, Contemporary Art and Theory at Florida International University
- Calvin Warren, Assistant Professor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Emory College
- TreaAndrea Russworm, Associate Professor of English at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Derek Conrad Murray, Associate Professor, History of Art and Visual Culture, University of California, Santa Cruz